Making God Known
6 This mystery is that the Gentiles are fellow heirs, members of the same body, and partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel." (Ephesians 3:6, ESV)
Making God Known!
7 Of this gospel I was made a minister according to the gift of God's grace, which was given me by the working of His power. 8 To me, though I am the very least of all the saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, 9 and to bring to light for everyone what is the plan of the mystery hidden for ages in God, who created all things, 10 so that through the church the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly places. 11 This was according to the eternal purpose that He has realized in Christ Jesus our Lord, 12 in whom we have boldness and access with confidence through our faith in Him. 13 So I ask you not to lose heart over what I am suffering for you, which is your glory. " (Ephesians 3:7-13, ESV)
"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28, ESV)
8 To me, though I am the very least of all the saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the
unsearchable riches of Christ, 9 and to bring to light for everyone...."
10 so that through the church the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly places."
"...wisdom of God might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly places."
"... in the things that have now been announced to you through those who preached the good news to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven, things into which angels long to look." (1 Peter 1:12, ESV)
"The holy angels, who look into the mystery of our redemption by Christ, could not but take notice of this mystery, that among the Gentiles is preached the unsearchable riches of Christ." ~ Matthew Henry
LIFEGROUP NOTES Week 12 - Making God Known!
There are times in our lives where we aren’t determined and we give up. There are times where we aren’t focused and become distracted by life. And sadly, there are also times where we aren’t motivated but are apathetic and genuinely disinterested.
Have you ever suffered through a time like this in your personal life/professional life/spiritual life? Share this experience with your group and ask for prayer in your continued struggle with this issue or celebrate your victory over this issue.
During today’s life group we will look at our specific “purpose in CHRIST”, as well as some ways to
practically overcome the struggles in fulfilling this purpose.
1) Read, as a group, 1 Cor. 2.1-5. What does Paul identify as his main goal or eternal purpose in this passage?
As a group read Eph.3.7-12 2) In this passage what does Paul say was his specific purpose in life?
3) Read 1 Cor.10.31 as a group. What would we say is the ultimate or eternal (Eph.3.11) purpose of Paul and every other believer for that matter?
4) Now we can see the difference between our “eternal” purpose and our “specific” purpose. We are all called to bring GOD Glory (“eternal purpose”), but we may be called to do it in different ways (specific purpose). Think about and discuss as a group the different roles people have at CrossPointe Church and the different ways that GOD is Glorified through those roles.
5) Look closely at v10. Why does Paul switch from speaking of His role to speaking about the role of the CHURCH?
6) Look even closer at the word “Manifold” in v10. What does this word mean and why does Paul use it here to describe GOD’s wisdom?
7) V11 tells us that the GOD’s eternal purpose (His Glory) was realized in CHRIST JESUS. How was GOD’s eternal purpose for us (to bring Him glory) made possible by/through CHRIST?8) Look back at v8. Why does Paul accentuate his weakness and lack of qualification?
8) Look back at v8. Why does Paul accentuate his weakness and lack of qualification? Identify and discuss the similarities.
Impact Statement: Reviewing the verses from tonight, we see that GOD gives us the Grace to fulfill His purpose for us (Eph.3.7), HE has called us to work together as a Church to portray His manifold wisdom (Eph.3.10), and that GOD was so passionate about His purpose for us to bring Him Glory; that He sent CHRIST to secure it! Jere- miah tells us that GOD’s plan/purpose for us is the only future that we have and it is not to harm us!