Jesus: Our Faithful Friend
JESUS: OUR FAITHFUL FRIEND
" 18 “I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19 Yet a little while and the world will see Me no more, but you will see Me. Because I live, you also will live." (John 14:18-19, ESV)
12 “This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.13 Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.14 You are My friends if you do what I command you. 15 No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you." (John 15:12-15, ESV)
THE PROOF OF HIS FRIENDSHIP!
"13 Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends."
"8 but God shows His love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. 9 Since, therefore, we have now been justified by His blood, much more shall we be saved by Him from the wrath of God. 10 For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of His Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by His life." (Romans 5:8-10, ESV)
THE SECURITY OF HIS FRIENDSHIP!
"...just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. 35 By this all people will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” (John 13:34-35, ESV)
"14 You are My friends if you do what I command you."
" 16 And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, to be with you forever" (John 14:16, ESV)
THE INTIMACY OF HIS FRIENDSHIP!
15 No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you."
"The great truths relating to man's redemption Christ declared to His disciples, and that they might declare them to others." ~ Matthew Henry
Week 8 - Our Faithful Friend
Sunday, we studied a passage that showed us how Jesus called us to love and serve others. But not only did He call us to live this way but he also spent His life demonstrating it for us. Today’s study looks at servant leadership, which can only take place when inspired by love.
As a group, review Mark 10:42-45.
1.In v42, how does JESUS describe the leadership style of those over the Gentiles?
2. How would you feel being under a leader like this?
3. Look at v43a. What is CHRIST doing in this part of the verse?
4. In v43b-44, JESUS paints a very different picture of leadership than that of the rulers of the Gentiles. HE says that those who will be great must be servants and that those who will be first must be slaves to all. As a group, discuss what this looks like in the life of a follower of CHRIST?
5. In v45, we see CHRIST pointing to Himself as an example of servant leadership. He specifically sites the atonement and crucifixion. As a group discuss the Cross of CHRIST as an act of service.
6. So, what is CHRIST calling us to do in v45?
If CHRIST Himself said that HE did not come to be served by others, but to serve others…then why do we as followers of CHRIST find it so hard to do the same? Why are we so interested in being served?