An Abundance of Joy
The Joy of Generosity
2 Corinthians 8:1-4
"8 We want you to know, brothers, about the grace of God that has been given among the churches of Macedonia, 2 for in a severe test of affliction, their abundance of joy and their extreme poverty have overflowed in a wealth of generosity on their part. 3 For they gave according to their means, as I can testify, and beyond their means, of their own accord, 4 begging us earnestly for the favor of taking part in the relief of the saints"
4 Rewards of Generosity:
1. Generosity displays the glory of God!
2. Generosity deepens your joy!
3. Generosity determines the treasure of your heart!
4. Generosity declares your love for others.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give!" -Winston Churchill
Week 1 - Abundance of Joy
As a group, turn to Genesis 29:14-30--let’s recount the story of Jacob.
1. One of the more effective ways for me to understand scripture is to try and place myself in the situation of the person about whom I am reading. As a group, discuss the situation that Jacob finds himself in? How was Jacob ‘done wrong’?
2. In this situation, how do you think that you and or most others would react?
3. Where do you see Jacob’s ‘Joy’ in this passage?
Now turn to Gen 37-40
4. As a group, think through and summarize aloud (maybe play popcorn) the story of Joseph and then discuss how Joy was evident in his life?
Now turn to Hebrews 12:2-4
5. Here is the climax of our study. As a group, let’s break down this passage. What is the joy set before JESUS in this passage?
6. What does this joy allow him to do?